I Fill in the blanks using the correct tense of the verbs in brackets:
- Listen, Bob! I see that you ______________ (try) to help me here, but I _____________ (not, need) your help. I can handle this. Thanks.
- The Second World War _____________ (start) in 1939 and __________ (last) for too long. My grandfather _____________ (be) a child then.
- Tourists often ___________ (come) to the capital city at this time of year but they ____________ (not stay) for too long. A weekend or so.
- I went to Mary’s birthday party last night. She ___________ (make) a big cake, and ___________ (organize) the music.
- Since I left my job at the restaurant I ______________ (not work) at all. I ___________ (look) for something better these days.
- I know that you ____________ (must) leave earlier yesterday, because your phone __________ (ring) for at least 10 minutes.
- ____________ (the English, drink) too much? – Of course, both men and women.
- My sister usually ___________ (cry) when she ________________ (watch) a romantic film. She just _____________ (not, can) help it, she ______________ (be) too sensitive.
- Nikola Tesla ______________ (celebrate) as one of the biggest scientist ever since.
- Hey! What ______________ (they, do) down there!? Tell them to stop!
II Use verbs work, catch, serve, attend, make, do, sell, tell, to get the right meaning of the phrases:
- ________________ with children
- ________________ customers
- ________________ a promise
- ________________ charities
- ________________ research
- ________________ a patent
- ________________ a bus
- ________________ the story
III Fill in using one preposition only:
- We arrived _________ Spain at 2.15.
- Don’t worry _____________ the exam. It’s easy.
- I need _______speak to Mr Smith, please.
- We were ________ the bus when the car accident happened.
- She was waiting ________ her boyfriend in the lobby.
- About 50 % _________ students never study at weekends.
- What did you have __________ lunch today?
- She decided ______ go out with her best friend.
IV Fill in the gaps using the given words. There is one word extra which you do not need to use.
|belongings look after polite trailer handwritten chef staff accountant snacks|
- I like getting postcards because they are ______________. That’s why emails seem less personal.
- My mum is an ______________ and she likes her job. She works on a computer and uses a calculator a lot.
- The prisoner had to leave all his personal _____________ in the office before he entered the jail cell.
- British Royal Household relies on their experienced ___________, especially footmen and barmen.
- Sara, can you, please __________ the baby just for a second? I have to make a phone call.
- The Brits are always _____________ and they use words THANK YOU and SORRY all the time.
- After he had finished the cooking course, he became a ____________ in a restaurant.
- Whenever I watch a film, I must eat some ___________. I just can’t help it.
V Correct the mistakes in the sentences:
- The Queen watch TV after dinner in her suite.
- There’s a good concert at tonight.
- A carpenter performs religious ceremonies.
- We were played football in the park after school.
- Did you took my keys, Tom?
- Tesla didn’t win the Nobel Prize on 1915.
- He spent the money that I was saving so I am in the black.
- I’ve decided living in Hawaii.