I Tenses – Present Simple/Continuous, Present Perfect, Past Simple:
- A: Where (the meeting, be) ____________________? In the main office? B: I (not, know) ____________________. I (just, arrive) ____________________ from the warehouse, but I can check it.
- Can you hold, please? I (type) ____________________ something on my computer.
- Out team (work) _______________ just fine. We (employ) __________________ some new people since last October and we are very satisfied with their work.
II Countables/Uncountables – Complete the dialogue with the words in the box:
a lot of, much, many, a little, a few
- Barak Obama’s speech didn’t surprise me _____________. I expected him to say that.
- Only ______________ people came to the meeting so we had to postpone it.
- How ___________ litars of milk does a family need for a day?
- _______________ students have done the survey so the date is quite plausible and correct.
- For this recipe you need just _____________ eggs. Take two, for example.
- She gave me _______________ money for the trip I can’t buy even a postcard with it.
III Obligation and necessity – Fill in using: have to, has to, didn’t have to, had to, needn’t, mustn’t
- All students __________________ listen to the teacher during the lesson.
- You _________________ smoke in the premises. There’s NO SMOKING sign.
- We had so much trouble with that supplier. Finally, we _______________ cancel the order because we weren’t quite sure how it was going to work.
- You __________________ put the milk in the coffee. I already pour some.
- The management students __________________ take an exam in English last week, because they could sit for it in another term. They could choose.
- Tim really ___________________ pay attention to his appearance. His hair is too long and in a mess, and his shoes need polishing.
IV Suggestion. Suggest a suitable solution to the given problem using relevant words or phrases:
- Why don’t we…What about…? We should…We shouldn’t…Let’s…
- 1. We must hand out the project tomorrow.
- 2. We don’t have legal breaks for breakfast at my firm.
- 3. I am new in this department.
- 4. We have a seminar next month. I want to go.
I Part of speech – Fill in the chart with suitable answers
II Synonyms – Give the most suitable synonym for given words or expressions:
III Circle the correct answer
- The meeting starts ______ eight o’clock ________ the evening. a) in/at b) at/on c) at/in
- The Obama inauguration started ______ time. a) in b)at c)on
- Is it ok with you if I leave now? I will _____________ it ______ on Monday. a) take …on b) make… up c) put …off
- She surely has _______________ too much work. She will have to stay longer today. a) caught up b)broken down c) taken on
- They have _______________ with the work on the constructing projects; they won’t finish it until the deadline. a) fallen behind b) got on with c) drawn up
- We have to inform them about the delays. It is our fault but they must know that we have to _____________ the delivery. a) catch up b) put off c) break down
- She needs a new __________________. She got a sack last month. a) job b) work c) employment
- I deal ___________ a lot of different people in the company. a) with b) at c) to
IV Numbers- Write down the numbers as words: