I Fill in the blanks using the correct tense of the verbs in brackets:
- My sister and I ___________ (be) very close. We ___________ (share) secrets and we _____________ (not, fight).
- He _____________ (not, call) last night because he ____________ (be) busy.
- The evening was quite nice. After I _____________ (make) myself a sandwich, I __________ (turn) on the TV and ____________ (watch) a series.
- Bob ______________ (never, be) to Japan before, although he ______________ (like) traveling a lot.
- What ________________ (you, do) when the storm _______________ (happen)? – I ___________________ (read) a book in my bedroom.
- I _________________ (think) of moving to Belgrade. Life in a small town _________ (be, not) what I want.
- My best friend _______________ (study) every day, but I _____________ (not, can) do that.
- Hey, Dave, the phone ______________ (ring)! Can you answer it?
- We ______________ (live) here since 2001, and we ________________ (not, plan) to move.
II Use verbs do, make, spend, have, sign, iron, work, receive, to get the right meaning of the phrases:
- ________________ time
- ________________ the clothes
- ________________ letters
- ________________ the shopping
- ________________ the documents
- ________________ an attempt
- ________________ dinner
- ________________ long hours
III Fill in using one preposition only:
- They got married ______ 22nd November 2014.
- I was born _______ summer.
- What do you think _________ my new coat?
- How much money did you spend ________the books?
- I love shopping and I never look __________ the price.
- Sarah planned __________ eat a steak and some salad.
- Do you turn _________ your TV when you go to bed the evenings?
- I have a new printer __________ the office desk.
IV Fill in the gaps using the given words. There is one word extra which you do not need to use.
|baker confident contract wrong appliances drawings machinery set up shy|
- Tesla left many ______________ and projects which are kept in special books.
- My first neighbour is a _____________, so I always buy bread in his shop.
- Since Dave decided to ____________ a company, he went to the bank to ask for a loan.
- All doctors must keep their patients’ histories _____________.
- I don’t know what I am doing _____________! It just never seems to be right!
- If we didn’t have electricity, we could never use any of the household _____________.
- All details about your business plan should be written down in a ____________.
- Although we may think the Brits are reserved, they are in fact very ___________.
V Correct the mistakes in the sentences:
- The Queen always is having meetings at noon.
- I’m having two brothers and one sister.
- Soldiers serve drinks in a bar.
- The match was started at 7.30.
- I didn’t can help him with his car last night.
- We all enjoy to have parties.
- Have Sara ever been to Italy?
- You haven’t enough money for the book.