Surprising presidential coincidences between Lincoln and Kennedy have been circulating in the press and on social networks for decades. Are the mentioned things true or just coincidence? Decide for yourself…A.Lincoln and J.F. Kennedy
I Fill in the blanks using the correct form of the word in brackets:
- Both presidents had 7 letters in their last name.
- Both were over 6′ _______ (FOOT) tall.
- Both men studied _______ (LAWFUL).
- Both served in the military. Lincoln was a scout captain in the Black Hawk War, and Kennedy served as a navy lieutenant in World War II.
- Both had no _______ (FRIGHTEN) of their mortality and disdained bodyguards.
- Both Lincoln and Kennedy were _________ (FAME) for their wit and for telling hilarious stories and anecdotes.
- Both presidents were shot in the head, on a Friday.
- Both were seated beside their _______ (WIFE) when shot. Neither Mrs. Lincoln nor Mrs. Kennedy was ______ (INJURY).
- One more ________ (SIMILAR): days before the murder happened Lincoln told his wife and friends about a dream he’d had of being shot by an assassin. Hours before the murder happened Kennedy told his wife and friends it would be _______ (EASILY) for an assassin to shoot him from a crowd.
- Lincoln was shot in a theatre named Ford. Kennedy was shot in a car made by Ford. Kennedy was shot in a car named Lincoln.
- Andrew Johnson, who killed Lincoln, was born in 1808. Lyndon Johnson, the Keneddy’s _________ (MURDER) was born in 1908.
Fill in the blanks with the right preposition, where necessary.
Family and Friends
- Both presidents were named _______ their grandfathers.
- Both were born ______ second children.
- Both married while _______ their thirties. Lincoln married ________ 33 and Kennedy married at 36.
- Both married dark-haired, twenty-four-year-old women.
- Both wives died around the age ________ 64. Mary Todd Lincoln died _____ 1882 at age 63 years and 215 days, and Jackie Kennedy died in 1994 at age 64 years 295 days.
- Each couple had four children two ________ whom died before becoming a teen.
- Each couple lost a son while in the White House. Willie Lincoln died at age 12 in 1862, and Kennedy’s son Patrick died two days _______ his birth in 1963.
- Lincoln’s secretary was named Kennedy.
Kennedy’s secretary was named Lincoln.
- Lincoln gave freedom _______ the black people and legalized equality. Kennedy enforced equality _______ the black.
- Both presidents were elected _______ the House of Representatives in ’46.
- Both were elected to the presidency _______ ’60.
- Both Lincoln and Kennedy were loved _______ the common people and hated ________ the establishment.
III Look at the Lincoln’s and Kennedy’s quotes. Make the opposite of the words in italics to complete the quotes.
|Abraham Lincoln |
“A friend is one who has the same __________ as you have.” “As I would not be a slave, so I would not be a ________. This expresses my idea of democracy. “
“I do not think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was _________.”
“Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or ________ are certain to miss the future.”
“It is an unfortunate fact that we can secure peace only by preparing for _______.” “The greater our knowledge increases the more our __________ unfolds.”