1 Read the text below. Translate the highlighted words and expressions in the given context.
- Dave: I read yesterday in the papers that three new state universities are opening soon.
- Brian: Apparently, the government wants to increase the number of young people going to university. What do you think about that?
- Dave: Personally, I think it’s a good idea. People should have a chance to go to university.
- Brian: Maybe, but it seems to me that we need more people with manual skills, not more academics. And why haven’t we got those people? It’s the government’s fault.
- Dave: You think that the government is to blame for everything. But isn’t it a good idea, in principle, for more young people to have a better education?
- Brian: Yes, I think education is an incredibly important issue, but the point is, what kind of education do we want young people to have?
- Dave: If you ask me, that’s a wonderful thing. The youngsters will choose what to study based on their interests.
- Brian: As far as I’m concerned, the university is not the only place where you can learn things. You can learn a lot without formal education if you know what I mean.
- Dave: I believe that having new universities is opening new possibilities for personal improvement, and other ways of education are in the second place.
| Word bank |
apparently – based on what you have heard or read
What do you think about…?
How do you feel about…? – asking about somebody’s opinion
fault – mistake
be to blame for – be responsible for
in principle – in theory
issue – a problem, a subject of discussion
the point is – the most important part of what I’m saying
If you ask me / As far as I am concerned – I personally believe
If you know what I mean – I hope you understand
1 Rewrite the opinions using the words in brackets. The meaning must be the same.
- a) I think it will be difficult. (EASY) I don’t think it will be easy.
- b) I think we should do something. (SEEMS)
- c) What do you think about that? (FEEL)
- d) I think we should help them. (OPINION)
- e) It’s my fault. (BLAME)
2 Complete the sentences using the mentioned phrases.
- a) As far as I am _________________, the most important thing is to find the right university.
- b) We both agree on that, but the ____________ is, what are we going to do with the unemployed?
- c) I think that climate change is one of the most important ______________ of the 21st century.
- d) The manager is responsible for the delivery delay, so it is his ______________.
- e) ______________, nobody wants to invest in education nowadays.
3 Give your opinion on the given issues using the mentioned phrases.
- a) There will be more wars in future.
- b) It is more expensive to live in a village than in the city.
- c) Pop music is for kids.
- d) CDs are not needed any more – you can download whatever you need.
- e) Italian food is tasteless.
4 Circle the right word or phrase.
- a) What do you think of/about my new car?
- b) It is not your blame/fault.
- c) It looks/seems to me that we need this.
- d) Apparently/Personally, they made the wrong choice.
- e) It is an important issue/opinion, but some talks are yet to be done.