I.1. Turn the sentences into passive:
- 1. They can’t speak Italian during the conference.
- 2. We are introducing a new method of teaching.
- 3. Do you clean your flat regularly?
- 4. People will never forget the Second World War.
- 5. Peter has called her for a drink.
- 6. I took the wallet from the desk.
I.2. Combine the two sentences to make ONE. Use a relative pronoun:
- Helen works for a company. It makes furniture.
- The film is about a young boy. It made a huge success.
- The police have caught the man. He stole my neighbour’s car.
- Barbara decided to move to Belgrade. She always wanted to live in the city.
- James didn’t phone me last night. It is quite strange.
- My sister lives in Germany. She is a veterinarian.
I.3 Supply the blanks with the appropriate question tag:
- He’s doing his best, ___________________?
- They don’t have much money, ______________________?
- Don’t disturb me till 4, ______________________?
- You can see that house, _____________________?
- She made a cake, ___________________?
- Let’s go for a drink, ______________?
I.4 Choose the correct participle to complete the sentences.
- I was really _________________ when John appeared at the door with the present for me.
- Don’t be so _________________. You’ll certainly pass the exam.
- His speech was so _________________. I didn’t understand a word.
- Can you think of anything _________________ to say or you’ll keep talking nonsense?
- The children are __________________ by wild animals.
- I was so _____________ last night, I went straight to bed.
II.1. Complete the sentences using the appropriate form of the word given in brackets:
- Football ___________ (support) sometimes can be real vandals.
- I like all gadgets, but some are totally ___________ (use)! I don’t know what to do with them.
- Teachers work hard to _____________ (education) their students.
- We were not ______________ (information) on time about the annual meeting.
- Sylvia dances _____________ (beauty). I like to see her dance.
- I had a serious ____________ (difficult) when I wanted to register online.
II.2. Fill in using ONE word only:
- Scientists say that cars are guilty of the air ____________ and all bad things about it.
- We all have busy business _____________ and sometimes forget to laugh.
- We have some premonitions about bad things, but we can never find ____________ for that.
- If you want to meet some _______________, you must be very persistent. As all popular people, they usually hide from the public eye.
- David Thomas _____________ all his maths exams and left school without qualifications.
- All students learn by doing ______________ tasks, although theory is important too.
II.3. Give the synonymous words or the expressions for the given words/expressions:
II.4. Circle the word which best fits the blank space:
- 1. If you want to memorize things, try to ___________ them to some familiar people or places.
- A) link B) think C) put D) remember
- 2. Oh, you are so disturbing. Go away and ___________ your own business!
- A) mind B) see C) watch D) look
- 3. We must say that some good inventions still have many ________________.
- A) disadvantages B)unpopularity C) opinions D) results
- 4. My husband is __________ with gadgets of all kinds. He loves them!
- A) full B) hooked C) obsessed D) adoring
- 5. A smile helps you to exercise your facial _____________.
- A) muscles B) frowns C) lips D) parts
- 6. What football club do you _____________?
- A) defend B) support C) encourage D) yell for